Monday 10 September 2012

My Life and Works

So now we are back into the swing of a new schoo year, with plenty going on in my life to actually talk about, I thought I would take this time to update you on my life so far.

So I started out in Bedfordshire is a little 2 up 2 down in a place called Sandy, while my Dad was working for a major seed treatment company and my Mum as a nursery nurse at a local primary school. Nothing really exciting I suppose, when you look back, and I moved away when I was about 18 months old. From what I can gather from my folks, I lived with my grandparents for about 6 months before moving to where we now call home. Alrewas. Named after the Alder Swamp that it used to be and occupied from pre-roman times by the Alderwashee Tribe, it has been a settlement on the Trent for many thousands of years.

Now occupied by a bunch of 21st Century Middle Classs families with 4x4s to get off their drives, as well as a large population of retired folk who make their place in the bungalow estates on the one side of village, it is scattered with some of the most beautiful half timbered thatched cottages and buildings in the county. It is also home to a mill, and a mill stream, which have now been converted into housing for rich people with fancy gates on the driveway. A standard village you may say. I know there is a village stereo-type almost of a village community, but in Alrewas this is overwhelmingly so. Made extremely evident by the 3 things which I have involved myself with most: the papershop where I work; The scouts group which I have grwon through and now help to organise; and the Alrewas Arts Festival, which has just completely taken over the village for the past week, leaving it in a slight state of shock.

Firstly the paper shop. This is where I spend the majority of my time. I seem to be there more than I am at my actual house. I have done a paper round for the shop for about 4 and a half years now, which has helped to fund several things including 2 new saxaphones, a new laptop and various trips to the cinema and even more sweets and chocolate. I ahd only been doing it for about a year when I was asked to go in early on a saturday morning to help out with marking the papers up, which for legal reasons I can't disclose how early, but it meant going to be even earlier on a friday night, labelling me as the idiot who went to bed when he got in from school!

At christmas last year, after about 9 months of nagging the shop keeper, I was given a position working behind the tills and helping out in the shop in an evening and at weekends. I have to say I think I bagged one of the ebst jobs in the world. A 3 minute walk from my house, reasonable hours and unbelievable flexibility with hours and days working, I could not have asked for more. I went for an interview at a pottary place in the village but got refused that job on the basis that I was already doing too much, which I have to say I still hold as a grudge, but never mind!

So when I got this job, I was asked which nights I really couldn't night. My busiest night, for many reasons is a thursday. Not important I know but basically this is when I have all of my scouts commintments. I progressed though from a Cub Scout to a Scout from the age of 8 and when I had reached 14 I was no longer able to attend scouts and left at a quandry as to what to do. In the end I have managed to get a place as a young leader supervising the Beavers, which is the youngest age band on a thursday evening, which I thouroughly enjoy. Yes it  has been pointed out to me that I am a sad person for doing this, but I can now pass on all the knowledge I gained through actually being one of them! I have to say for what it is worth, it is generally great experience of interacting with people and being able to share your knowledge as well as listen to other people's is one of the greatest skills anyone can hold.

That is enough for today I think. I can save the summary of the Arts Festival for another post. So TTFN! Thanks for reading!

Follow me on Twitter: @peachy146

No comments:

Post a Comment