Friday 7 September 2012

I almost forgot to Update You On My Moggy

Oh yes, I have been so busy recently with the Alrewas Radio and other things going in the Arts Festival that I almost forgot about the Moggy! So I was just popping home to see how progress was going on the chicken run on the last day of the radio when I was presented by the postman with 2 brown envolopes printed with a return address of "Morris Minor Owner's Club." I can't explain the excitment, it was so intense.

So I opened them up to find the July/ August issue with my membership certificate and membership card which now takes pride of place over my driving liscense (yes that's right) in my wallet! So the last installment of the moggy tale was that I had been granted the access to it. However it was in Yorkshire with 4 flat tyres, no MOT and a dead battery.

So now, it is still in Yorkshire. Still 4 flat tyres, still a dead battery and still not roadworthy. However, now that is the only issue stopping me driving it. Over the past few days I have been able to get hold of a tow-car (I couldn't use my gran's Land Rover because she ruined it driving to Devon) and also a trailer, with a winch and a massive amount of straps and ropes to get it back. I have also spoken to the garage down to road and they said that I would be able to drop it off and then get it all fixed and sparkling, just like when it came out of the factory 44 years ago.

Proudly displaying my Moggy Owner's Club sticker on the back window and wih my Minor Matters Magazines (yes that is really what they call the official owner's magazine) in hand I am feeling ever more confident about actually having a car to drive which I can afford to run, repair and insure! Not only that but it is a classic. There is npo denying that it is the ford mondeo estate of it's day, but it is still elagant and incredibly fun to drive. Call me old-fashioned, but the classic cars are the best, adn this is certainly one of the best all-round classic motors you can get, at a reasonable price and availability.

However I do find it slightly sadistic of the insurance companies to give me a qoute of £4,000 for a 2003 ford fiesta with an actual safety-rated with seatbelts already fitted, whereas I can get a 44 year old death-trap on wheels that will not do the speed limit even if the road is 300 miles long, straight and downhill no matter how hard you will it to insured for £985.64! The fact of the matter is, I am pleased that it has turned out that way as I get to drive the best car in the world. Well the best that I can afford, which admitably is limited, but nonetheless.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/peachy146 @peachy146

No comments:

Post a Comment