Monday 17 September 2012

Moggy Update: Nearly Roadworthy!

Well Well Well. I have to say, a lot has happened in the past few dayssince I last talked about the moggy. Not only that but it has bee themost exciting stuff and we are ever closer to getting her roadworthy.So there I sat, at the dining room table, the morning before I set offto Yorkshire to pick it up, on the phone for 51 minutes and 14 secondsto try and inquire about an off-road insurance so that the moggy wassafe on the trailer on the way back. Well apparently it has to belocked in a garage for it to be eligible, so that was a non-starter.However when we inquired about the difference in the premium from 17to 18, there was, to our surprise, absolutely non! So I gave the niceman a Footman James my card details so he could take a deposit from meand jumped out of the house and straight into a family friend's car,trailer attached on and ready to go.The journey up north was pretty good, only small amounts of Fridayafternoon traffic and a very nice Costa at Wetherby Services. Weproceeded up the A1 to a junction which nobody knows the number of andheaded through a little town called Bedale into an even smallervillage called Newton-Le-Willows. The tyres on the Moggy had stayedpumped up from my Dad's exertion up there a few days prior, the clutchand the brakes freed, but still a flat battery and a dead engine. Wehooked her onto the trailer winch, and without many issues we got itonto the trailer. Then came the issue. The garage which it was storedin faced the opposite way to the farm track andwith the towing car only being a 2 wheel drive, there was no way itwas going to move on the wet grass. After burning the clutch and thetyres, we had to do a bit off imaginative thinking and tow the trailerwith a rope. Eventually, with a bit of persistence we finally got itrighted and on it's way.I spent the entire journey looking out of the back window to check ifLucy had fallen off the trailer. And yes, I have called my car Lucy.For 1 reason only. The number plate is LSD 496G. LSD > The Beatles -Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds > Lucy. Explained? So when we got backwe dropped it off at the local garage, slightly nervous about it'ssafety. I have to say I didn't sleep very well that night, and as soonas I had finished my paper round, I was off to the garage like a shot.What I didn't expect to find was 2 men with their heads in it. What Ialso didn't exect to find an hour later after I had gone home for ashower, was a call to say "It's started," ratified by the sound of itgently chugging away in the background!Needless to say, I am awaiting an MOT for it, while the chaps at thegarage service it and prepare it, and then all that is left to do isto scrub away a small amount of surface rust on the bottom and thenre-coat it in wax oil and rust remedy! In the future I hope tore-varnish and re-seal all of the woodwork, possibly upgrade thebrakes and fit in a nice little audio system so I can play all theclassic 60s tunes on my various road trips around the country. I amalso looking forward very much to further participation with TheMorris Minor Owner's Club and also a trip to the Classic Motor Show atthe end of November! I am looking forward to many more stories andadventures to be had with my Moggy, as well as much toil I shouldimagine!Thanks for reading.Follow me on Twitter: @peachy146

No comments:

Post a Comment